Wednesday, May 06, 2009
Has Sony stopped manufacture of short-wave radios?!
I believe that Sony may have discontinued their short-wave portable receiver model ICF-SW7600GR and may indeed be ceasing production of all short wave portable receivers. This could be due to several reasons ...
1. General decline in Short-wave interest,
2. Inability to compete with cheap manufacturers in Asia particularly China,
3. The current worldwide economic woes,
4. Sony's current financial difficulties in a number of their electronic manufacturing divisions.
Do any group members know anything that may either support or repudiate this view? I am basing this assumption on the fact that the Australian Sony web site indicates that the ICF-SW7600GR is discontinued. Some other
Sony web sites around the world, notably USA are no longer showing that model as an available product. Of course if it has been discontinued, then it will still remain on retail shelves as long as current stock lasts. It would be unfortunate if Sony are indeed ceasing manufacture, but it would be a reasonable response on their part to a lack of demand for the product. Just have a look at how their portable CD player range has shrunk for the same reason.
- Robert, email@example.com